• For your first Maya Abdominal Therapy (MAT) appointment please fill out the ‘Client Intake Form’ and bring it with you to your first appointment for a thorough intake.
The first treatment is 1.5 -2 hrs. long, where I will explain about the therapy and how I can tailor it to your specific needs. I will evaluate the alignment of the structural spine with attention to the sacrum , lumbar and thoracic spine and massage the abdomen. After your treatment I will teach a self-care massage and talk about other therapies I would recommend to help you achieve the maximum benefit.
Recommendation of complementary modalities:
– Herbal remedies
– Castor oil packs
– Faja (organ support wrap)
– Bajos (traditional vaginal steam bath of the Mayas )
– Nutritional and or lifestyle education and adaptations
• Please make sure you are not menstruating the day of your appointment and this therapy is also contraindicated immediately after any abdominal surgery.
• I also work on scar mobilization after surgery as soon as your doctor will clear you for massage. (e.g C-Section scars, Endoscopic Abdominal surgeries, Hysterectomies, …etc.)
The massage will speed up the recovery by building less scar tissue and other abdominal adhesion, therefor lessening pain and preventing future issues.
• There are some contraindications to MAT, but also many modifications to make this modality work for you. Please call if you are unsure if MAT would be a good therapy for you.